This super easy, fresh, zesty and crunchy salad makes the perfect addition to any meal! The fancy-shmancy smashed cucumbers are dressed up in a tangy and subtlety sweet dressing and sprinkled with generous amounts of nutty sesame seeds. Yummy! Bring this easy salad to your next party/picnic/BBQ and you’ll be the star!
I love a fresh and flavorful salad, but sometimes I get stuck in the salad green rut. I mean, I know I SHOULD eat my veggies, and get my GREENs on. Normally I pile a plate high with fancy greens, or baby kale and drizzle a bit of EVOO, a dash of s&p, and viola- salad! This is good and all but I find my self urning for something different… More texture, more flavor, something really delicious.
I came across a salad like this one I am sharing here today at a restaurant. I was so obsessed with the interesting appearance of the “smashed” cucumbers that I googled it asap so I could make my very own. And it’s a fun process too? Ever want to bash veggie with a skillet? Heck ya! Well here’s your chance!
If you are familiar with my blog you know there is no shortage of Asian-inspired dishes! To say I am a hug fan of Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, Chinese, and Japanese cuisine would be an understatement. I take inspiration from these dishes and put on my own spin.
This salad has a wonderful dressing that is bursting with tang along with a hint of spice and a dash of sweet. It will really get this taste buds going. And better yet- it looks fancy, but is ridiculous easy and quick to make. So with out further ado….
Smashed Asian Cucumber Salad
This fresh and tangy salad looks great and tastes amazing!
- 6 mini english cucumbers (makes about 3 ½ cups of smashed cukes)
- ¼ cup red pepper (diced)
- ¼ cup red onion (diced)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 ½ teaspoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon + Himalayan or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- better flavor if it marinates
- Place your cucumbers on a cutting board.
- Place a cast iron skillet (or any heavy flat object) on top of each cucumber and apply pressure with your hand until it cracks and flattens.
- Next use a knife to cut the smashed cucumbers into 1″ segments and throw them into a bowl.
- Add the red pepper and red onion into the bowl and mix.
- Blend the sesame oil, vinegar and maple syrup in a small blender (like the magic bullet).
- our the dressing over the salad, then add the salt, pepper and sesame seeds and give it all a good stir.
- The salad tastes best if you let the cakes marinate for an hour, but also can be eaten straight away.