When I think of summertime I think of laying in the sun at the beach, windows rolled down in the car, the smell of flowers and fresh cut grass, and fresh tropical fruit- like watermelon and PINEAPPLE! I love fresh fruit- how sweet and juicy it is when it’s in season, and it’s so good for you too! Pineapple is packed with vitamin C, manganese, thiamin (vitamin b-1), and bromelain which aids in digestion of protein.
I love to freeze fresh pineapple chunks to use in smoothies during the hot summer months. The result from using fresh frozen fruit to replace much of the ice is a more flavorful, less icey, more smooth, smoothie!
I made this smoothie extra thick, so you can eat it with a spoon and it feels more like a meal than a drink.
Everyone in your family, kids included with love this smoothie! It tastes much like the Pina Colada Julius from Orange Julius- creamy, smooth and sweet, but made with healthy and simple ingredients!
Pineapple Rise & Shine Smoothie Bowl
Healthy pineapple smoothie bowl- vegan, gluten free, paleo
- ¾ cup frozen pineapple chunks
- ¼ cup pineapple juice (you can reserve this much juice when cutting up your pineapple or use canned pineapple juice)
- 1/2 cup of almond milk
- ¼ cup of full fat coconut milk (the canned kind)
- 5 + ice cubes
- a few drops of stevia or maple syrup if needed for sweetness
- optional- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (whey, or soy/veggie-based, chia, hemp, coconut flakes on top)
- Blend all the ingredients in a high speed blender. I use my Vitamix. It has a super high powered motor that blends thick smoothies exceptionally well!